By Pamela Richards,Wayne Wiegand,Marija Dalbello
A vast, comparative historical past of librarianship, this fascinating paintings is going past the traditional specialize in associations and collections that can assist you discover the half smooth librarianship played—and keeps to play—in forming Western cultures.
• Discusses the cultural function of libraries and the position of knowledge in shaping glossy society
• Deepens readers' figuring out of the historical past of the 20 th century and smooth librarianship, together with electronic convergence of the prior decades
• Analyzes the cycles of "information explosion" and a number of details eras as a part of the advance of librarianship over greater than a century
• Explores tensions round specialist neutrality within the provision of public entry to info and data in a democratic society
Read or Download A History of Modern Librarianship: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures PDF
Similar library & information science books
This name offers concrete sensible examples of ways to align institution library courses and tutorial perform with the six key thoughts of brain-compatible studying: expanding enter to the mind; expanding experiential facts; a number of resource suggestions; lowering danger; concerning scholars in studying determination making; and interdisciplinary unit making plans.
Each day researchers face an onslaught of inappropriate, faulty, and occasionally insidious info. whereas new applied sciences supply robust instruments for getting access to wisdom, no longer all details is created equivalent. useful info could be tucked away on a shelf, buried at the hundredth web page of seek effects, or hidden in the back of electronic obstacles.
The Invisible Librarian: A Librarian's consultant to expanding Visibility and impression presents insights into what many librarians are feeling, together with questions corresponding to "do they think invisible? " and "How again and again have they heard anyone say ‘but every thing is at the Internet’? " while you're a librarian suffering to discover the easiest process for the way forward for the career in a speedily altering details setting, this booklet is for you.
This quantity bargains updated insights into the nation of library and data technology (LIS) within the center East and North Africa. lined issues contain info literacy, highbrow estate, LIS schooling and study, publishing and extra. This well timed contribution hence provides very important components of analysis on a area that gets fairly little assurance and is at the moment experiencing quick and demanding alterations.
- Story Celebrations: A Program Guide for Schools and Libraries
- The Reinvention of Populist Rhetoric in The Digital Age: Insiders & Outsiders in Democratic Politics (Rhetoric, Politics and Society)
- The Intersection of Library Learning and Second-Language Learning: Theory and Practice
- Bibliothek der Zukunft. Zukunft der Bibliothek: Festschrift für Elmar Mittler (German Edition)
- The Changing Academic Library, Second Edition: Operations, Culture, Environments
- Functional Requirements for Authority Data: A Conceptual Model (IFLA Series on Bibliographic Control)
Additional info for A History of Modern Librarianship: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures
A History of Modern Librarianship: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures by Pamela Richards,Wayne Wiegand,Marija Dalbello